NOTE: I forgot to add the Quito photo album before leaving. Thanks to Tundragirl, it is now up along with jungle pix. Don't think we will have wifi in the Galapagos either so tonight is my last shot at posting for a while.
Just found the link to the photos from our bike ride in Peru: click here
Sunday, February 20
Bungle in the Jungle
We were all checked out and in the bus by 8:15. Driving through town, we noticed that all the avenues were closed down. Sophia said that the close the large avenues on Sunday for bicyclists. Right On! Made a stop at a popular food market on the way to the airport. This place was amazing. Clean, bright, and the people were very friendly. Sophia gave a demonstration of some of the different fruits. Names I simply can't remember. Stopped by the herb guy and there was a big package of Maca! I scooped that right up. If you don't know what it is for, google it. I won't go into it here. I can hear the girls at Curves giggling now. I also bought a liquid extract from the Amazon Dragon's Blood tree. This little bottle is good for, and I am not making this up it is on the label, tuberculous, cancer, and acne! These people swear by it. For 4 bucks, how can you go wrong?
When we had our fill of the market, it was off to the little local airport, where they served free sandwiches, coffee, and fruit. The weather was good, which was fortunate. Sometimes they have to cancel flights if it is raining too hard. This is a DeHavilland 35 seater plane. Took some shots leaving Quito and then over the Nado River. Disembarked and boarded the jungle bus for a quick ride through town to meet our boat. Before boarding, we all had to be fitted for our jungle boots. OAT provides these so that you can walk around in the mud. Put mine on and everything was fine, until we were pretty set to go and I decided to see if my orthodic fit. Can't be do any walking without that. Uh Oh, no go!! They searched high and low for the next size up with no success. Finally someone had to go buy a pair. I was devestated that I held the whole group up because I didn't think of this earlier. However, I am thankful that I realized it in time. Got my spanking brand new boots - another perk - no prior sweaty feet. With lifevests donned, we were ready for our cruise down the Napo River. This river eventually leads into the Amazon. We sat in the back, so it was easy to have a little Jerry B. ceremony without disturbing anyone. As usual, I got teary, but it is nice to know that he is on his way to the Amazon River. Who would have thought?
Arrived at the lodge and immediately were served dinner. This country lives and breathes potatoes. I have no idea how many different varieties there are, but at every meal we seem to experience at least or one or two more, Settled into our little hut, which will be our home for the next three nights. Did I happen to mention that it is HOT here - 91 degrees and humid. The lodge is no big deal but very clean and pleasant with lots of individual huts. There is running hot water, but electricity only between 6 and 10 at night. Right now we are finally getting some quiet time to ourselves and trying not to move too much to stay cool. After the cool weather and high altitudes, our bodies need some adjustment to the climate. At 4pm, we are off for a short walk around the grounds. I wish this blog had sound. The sounds are incredible. More later.
4pm came and we suited up with our jungle gear and headed out. The highlights of this excursion were the Dragon's Blood tree, where my magic potion came from; the horse penis root, no explanation there you just have to look at the picture,the tarantula, always a pleasure, the fake banana flowers which are a gorgeous red, the shaman's hallucinogenic root, the walking tree that actually walks toward the sunlight, and the general atmosphere of being in the jungle.
Got back to the cabin and decided it was useless to shower, so we headed down to the main building and found some of our group enjoying cocktail hour. Joined right in with this mega bottle of beer for $3.00! Sophia gave a lecture on Ecuador - mostly about the political situation and the oil. Dinner was served soon. Family style with beef stew as an entree. Very tasty. We walked back to our abode, and took a relaxing shower. The rains are back and we are not sure if we will be able to go bird watching at 6am - darn!
Next time... I have no clue
Monday, February 21
Jungle Tours
....and they say we'll have some fun if it's stop raining. Started raining soon after the thunder and lightning just as we finished dinner last night and continued heavily into the morning. The good news about the rain is that it is a whole lot cooler. The 6am bird watching was a no show. We managed to get ourselves out of bed by 7 but we were still the last ones at the breakfast table. It was back in the "bus" after breakfast and off to visit a school and a village home with a short jungle trek. We headed out in our jungle boat in the pouring rain. OAT also supplies great ponchos for these occassions. On our walk to the school, we came across a baby boa hanging in someone's yard. The man found this on his property and had to kill it in self defense. He had just finished skinning it when we arrived. He will bring it into to town and hopefully it will fetch a good price.
It was time to go visit the Kitchu family down the road from the school. We were introduced to Christine who owns 9 acres of land and farms it with her husband for bananas, cocoa, and coffee. She also makes crafts and we all loaded up on handmade jewelry. Back in the boat and back to the lodge for lunch. After lunch we had a few minutes of free time and then it was off to go fishing. Well, Mr. Geoff was very happy. About 6 of us split up into 2 canoes and headed down the river with wooden poles with a piece of beef on the end. Not too long after we left the dock, I felt a giant hit and my line got completely stripped - hook and all. "Grande" said Hymie. "Yeah, but he got away". There were a few more hits but no keepers. The ride down the river was beautiful. So peaceful and serene just listening to the sounds of the jungle.
It was time to eat again and then off for another jungle walk to see some large birds and a night time paddle to possibly encounter a caymen or two. Well, we managed to see one big very beautiful bird and a very friendly turtle - oh yeah, there was also a toad. After paddling around the pond twice we were skunked out of seeing any caymens, but the fireflies around the edge of the water looked like little cities. Made it back to the lodge at around 7:30, ate dinner then showered up before lights out. As I sit in bed writing, my eyes are starting to close. It is not so humid tonight and we saw a few stars. Not sure if I'll make the 6am bird watching thing.
Next time .... Shamans and Cooking Class
Tuesday, February 22
Shamans and Cooking Class
Another cloudy day but not as hot. Got down to breakfast and met up with the 6am bird watchers. This bird watching takes place from the lodge, so it is no big excursion. Apparently, at 6am it was still dark so they didn't see much. There were some birds around by the time we got down there and we were able to spot a few. The toucans are the best. After breakfast, everyone enjoyed taking pictures with the lodge parrot. This guy loved getting on peoples shoulders. Although, Betsy had on her beads from yesterday's village visit, and the bird went to town on her neck. Missed that photo!
Some of the group has gathered to go off on another 3 hour jungle walk. Me and a few others have passed up this opportunity. My foot is starting to really bother me and I think the rest will do it good. These walks are can be painfully slow. They stopped every few feet to explain something - first Hymie talks in Spanish and then Sophia has to translate - meanwhile, we are all just standing there and that is what has been the most painful. Others feel the same way and they don't have any foot problems. Geoff went, so he will take the pictures and report back. I am taking this opportunity to catch up on my reading. Till later...
| Lemon Ants - YUM |
Nap time after lunch until 3:30 and then down to the dock to head out for the cooking lesson and the shaman. The cooking started out tame enough. Geoff volunteered to help prepare the fish. Betsy got the task of slicing the slugs! Boy was she surprised. After slicing, she had to skewer them. The food was served using palm leaves as plates. The fish was very tasty but very bony. The slugs happened to be very tasty - bacon like flavor. Betsy even went back for seconds and Geoff had about half a dozen.
After we had our fill on snacking, the shaman arrived. He looked vaguely familiar - I know I have seen his face around the lodge. We did the Q & A thing for a while and then he asked if anyone wanted healing. Stephanie (you all remember her) and I stepped right up and were the first to be "healed". No use explaining, just watch the video and the pix. Next up was the blow gun demonstration. This was pretty impressive. Everything is made from what is available in the jungle. They make a notch in the point of the dart with a paranha jaw, so that the poisoned tip would break off in the animal. Everyone had a shot at trying to blow and aim. After all that fun, it was back in the boat and off to the lodge for a quick shower and dinner. I had been complaining about all the beef meals at this lodge, although this afternoon we did get some good fish. For dinner it was beef again, however, I was given a vegetable stir fry thanks to Sophia.
Next time... Coca Town
Wednesday, February 23
Touring Coca Town
Just an update on the Adventures of S.... she survived the jungle with her trusty Kindle.. Although, not as adventurous as most, she did come to be healed by the shaman. Did it help? Who knows? I think I may have forgotten to mention that her knitting needles were confiscated by security going into Ecuador leaving her defenseless. Will let you know how it goes in the waters of the Galapagos.
Next time.... Off To See The Lizard
3 comments:
Awesome pictures!!! The marketplace in Quito is stunning! Loved all the photos from the jungle too!! What an adventure...I think your next book will be on the NYT's bestseller list Susan!! Hey, I hope you bought a case of that Dragon's blood?!! I will gladly buy a bottle or two from you...I tried to get some through an Amazon herb company and they wanted $30 just for tea!! Looking forward to the Galapagos!!!! Love S!
Hey you two,loved reading your adventures.I fell like I'm right there with you.So happy to hear that your healed now!!!
Had you heard about the earth quake in Christchurch,Newzealand Right where you were last year. Stay safe,
Lucy
Yessir, this here is Miner Dan. Seems I been down here in Ecuador nigh on 45 years, searchin' fer gold! Good thing someone dropped this here computer. I got some knitting needles here too, I reckon I kin bargain fer. They's got the letter 'S' stamped on 'em. I'll take some of that Curves giggling elixir, kindly, in exchange for these needles. Have we struck a bargain? Yeee-haw!
Miner Dan
Post a Comment
Please type your comments in the box below. Pull down "Select a Profile" choose either anonymous or add your name. Hit Preview to review. If you are happy, hit POST COMMENT. Thanks