Friday, February 18, 2011

Off to Quito, Ecuador

It was a Chinese fire drill getting up this morning at 5am.  I blew out 2 hairdryers and they came up with a third.  Then I realized in all the commotion of going back and forth to Machu Pichu last two days and me not feeling well, I forgot to take Jerry B. up there with me.  I know this may sound strange to some, but our dear friend passed about 2 years ago and we have been traveling with his ashes and spreading them all over the world.  He always wanted to travel and now he is.  Anyway, I felt awful, knowing that I am not coming back here any time soon.  On the bus ride to the airport, I talked to Benito about this as asked him if he would take some ashes up with him next time he goes.  He thought it was a beautiful thing. He asked me where and I said "you decide" - "OK, I will spread them around the Temple of the Sun, the most sacred place."  I really do think that he will do this.  I was overwhelmed with gratitude and even teared up a bit. Benito is truly a wonderful man and he was a great guide for us. I left Cuzco feeling much relieved that Jerry B. will be well taken care of.

We are now sitting at the Cuzco airport waiting to board the flight to Lima.  Only to sit there for three hours waiting to board the flight for Quito.  We are in Quito for 2 days and I hope we have a chance to come up for air.  At least be able to wash the traveling underpants!  Wake up calls have been so early and by the time we get back to the hotel all you want to do is crawl into bed and sleep.  This has been non-stop, but a great experience. Once again, I will say I am thankful for the folks we are traveling with.  They are very diverse but all get along - no stragglers in this group!  We will soon meet the rest of the group who will join us in Quito for the main tour. I think there are 3 or 4 of them. Machu Pichu was the optional pre-trip.

Hung around the Lima airport for a few hours before finally boarding the plane to Quito.  Geoff and I pulled out the netbook and watched NOVA's special on Darwin "What He Didn't Know".  All about his adventures in the Galapagos and evolution.  We recommend it highly plus a friend of ours has a son who is an actor in it.  The movie turned out to be longer than the flight.  When I opened the window, I was greeted with a spectactular view of a great mountain top.  The views going into Quito were tremendous.  Quito is the captitol of Equador.  There is an old part of the city, which we will see tomorrow, and a new part, which is where our hotel is located.  Sophia met us at the gate and we were off.  This hotel is a tres chic.  The rooms are huge.  Some of us decided to meet downstairs for a quick tour of the neighborhood with our guide, Sophia.  She explained that when they built the new part of the city, they were influenced by European archecture.  So although the churches and buildings have an old look, they were only built in the 1960's.

Got back to the hotel and freshened up for dinner.  Made a call to Pete, Geoff's brother,  to see if the softphone worked from the computer and it did.  Very cool. Went to Mama Clorinda where everyone ate pretty hearty and the food was great.  This city really rocks on Friday night, plus the full moon was out.  There was music and people everywhere.  Got back to the hotel and decided to take a tour of the gym and spa facilities.  Guess what? The sauna and steam were free!  Say no more - we'll be right back.  However, Geoff realized that he was missing one of the lenses from his glasses. Went to the desk and they called the restaurant.  No luck. Back upstairs to change and head for the sauna.  Met up with Betsy and Glen and had a nice sweat. This place was great.  coming back for the full works - massage, jacuzzi bath, and choclate strawberries when we get back from the jungle.  We were sufficiently cooked, so we headed back down to the desk to check and see if they heard from the restaurant about the lens. Still no luck.  He will have to get a pair of readers tomorrow.  Too bad. Oh yeah, this was after he forgot his Grand Lake Stream hat on the bus in Cuzco.  Think he got the Stephanie bug!  So now we hunt for a hat and glasses.  Oy vey.

For those keeping up with the Adventures of S, she got through today unscathed.  However, it seems her karma has been transfered to another, Marilyn, who went through the Lima Airport in a tizzy because her watch was missing, only to find that the velcro strap had stuck to her fleece jacket going through security.  It was hanging on her jacket the whole time.  Next when we arrived at the Quito airport, the zipper on her luggage broke.  Still working on how to either repair or replace that one.  Stephanie, however, has enjoyed a trouble free day.  No telling what tomorrow will bring.

Next time... Touring Quitor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please type your comments in the box below. Pull down "Select a Profile" choose either anonymous or add your name. Hit Preview to review. If you are happy, hit POST COMMENT. Thanks



Island Dream Blogger Template