Saturday, February 19, 2011

City Tour of Quito

Just got down from the steam room and sauna, so I will try to write this fast, as I really need some sleep. Please note there are new pictures in Quito photo album.  Also, this will be my last post until we return here in about 4 days.  I will keep writing though.

After breakfast, Sophia gave an orientation of what is coming up.  We also got to meet the new folks, Natalie, and Carol and Larry. They immediately blended right in with the group.  When that was all done, you guessed it, back on the bus!  Off we went, first stop the Crystal Palace.  This is quite a structure built by the architect who built the Eiffel Tower.  This building over looks all of the old city with great vistas and interesting sculptures.  The Quito Basilica was next.  Bought some shawls outside from the woman selling goods.  The Basilica's main features were the gargoyles and the stained glass.  One window, in particular, had all the variety of orchids that grow in Ecuador.  We moved on to the Historical Center of the Grand Plaza.  Here lies the Archbishops Palace and the National Building.  The Ecuadorian version of the Statute of Liberty lies here as well.  There was a World Press Photography exhibit going on so we took it all in. Back in the bus and a drive over to the San Francisco Plaza.  Here you could get a good shot of the Winged Virgin Mary.  Also took a tour of the Jesuit Church, where the walls are guilded with 24 carat gold!  There was a wonderful fair trade shop and Geoff picked up a real Panama hat.  Everyone agreed he looked dashing!

It was time for lunch, so headed over to the grounds of the museum of the Middle of the World. Where we were hosted by Maria, who cooked a fabulous lunch.  We tried goat, which was delicious, and some different types of  fruits and vegetables.  Really like the babaco, which is a papaya variety. Since Maria owns the grounds and the museum, we took a tour after lunch.  Ecuador lies right on the equator.  In fact that is how it got its name. Quito, means middle of the earth.  Qui meaning center and to, meaning earth.  You can actually feel the gravitational difference when you step across the line from north to south.   There is another monument about 150 meters away that was built before they could accurately measure the exact placement of the equator line.  This is the "official" tourist monument but we know better and so did the Incas.  All of their measurements were dead on.

On the way back, Sophia treated us for ice cream, which was more like a sherbet- no cream, no sugar, no milk - just pure fruit, made on the premises.  It all tasted great.  As soon as we got back, Geoff took off to try to find some glasses.  He ran into Sophia and she lead him to a mall with great success!  He can now see again.

We had a great day.  Sophia filled our heads with Ecuadorian history and many stories of Simon Bolivar and others past and present.  Our heads are swimming.  We topped off the day, with a lovely dinner at the hotel.  Geoff and I got the steak and it was delicious.  We have packed a small bag for the Amazon and are excited about our first trip into the jungle.   As for the Adventures of S, fortunately, no new disasters  to report. She did, however, get herself a hired gun.  Tonight she had a lovely massage and is resting comfortably. We will see what happens going down the Amazon.  Speaking of which, we have an early call tomorrow, so I will say good night.

Next time... Welcome to the Jungle!

5 comments:

PJ said...

Dear Geoff,
I saw you wearing a Panama hat, and I'm a wee perturbed, as you look a lot better than I do when I wear one. My name is Jack Droughy, I'm from Kells County Ireland, and all me rugby blokes call me Panama Jack, on account that I look so good in a Panama Hat. But you look better. If I weren't unemployed, a bit goutish and living under my uncle's peat farm, I'd be buying a ticket down there so's I could arm wrestle ye fer the title. Consider yerself forewarned...
For True,
P.J.

Anonymous said...

Great Hat I hope it has a chin strap for the beach

Jerry said...

Hey S&G,

Welcome back from the jungle! I've been immensely enjoying your blog. It livens up my day back here in cold bleak New England. We are viewing the photo albums on the 42" HD LCD and they are gorgeous...can't wait for more. Stay well and bug free and don't eat the alpaca.

Love,
J&J

BTW: Judy wants to hear more of The Perils of Stephanie.

BTW again: I'm jealous of the hat

Tundragirl said...

For some reason i do not see a Quito photo album. Love the hat, love goat too. It is still FRIGID here. Do not come back.
FYI: So sad about the earthquake in New Zealand. So glad you are on the other side of the world.
xxoo

mary said...

You draw the pictures well just in your writing - and make me wish I was there. It's been more than a week since I checked in and, once again, I am tired just reading it. Photos tomorrow. I hope the Galapagos is as wonderful as it is in my imagination.
love you both!

Post a Comment

Please type your comments in the box below. Pull down "Select a Profile" choose either anonymous or add your name. Hit Preview to review. If you are happy, hit POST COMMENT. Thanks



Island Dream Blogger Template