These were very independent women for their time. Careers and no children, they worked together, traveled together and though husbands came and went, they were inseparable. It was a time before airplanes, and travel was done mainly by ships and trains. And when air travel did come into its own, they were pioneers on some of the very first Pan Am flights. Coming home after circling the globe, they brought back with them stories that were captivating from places we had never dreamed of. Not having cameras, they would collect postcards. If they weren't traveling together, they would send each other postcards. I am now the keeper of this collection dating back to the early 1930's. I treasure them dearly and hope the act of collecting postcards isn't lost altogether our too techno world.Listening to Hannah and Belle in grandma's kitchen must have certainly threw a switch inside me. I started flying early when my mother would put me on a plane by myself to go down to Florida to stay with her sister. My first real adventure came when I strapped on a backpack and hitch-hiked across Europe. Fondly remembering throwing 3 coins in the Fountain of Trevi on my 21st birthday. That trip was a real ice-breaker. I went with very little and came home so full of knowledge and self-assurance that the world was there for the taking.
At heart, I am basically a homebody. I enjoy having a nice place to live and enjoy being at home. But there is always a voice inside of me saying "where do we go next?". So more than anything it is wonderful to see the world but always great to come back home.
Next time... The real travel bugs!
3 comments:
Hannah and Belle look like they could get around just fine, with guys lining up to pick up the tab. When was this pic taken? Did your Grandmother ever travel like they did?
Grandma didn't quite have the wherewith-all as the "girls" did since they were career gals. However, she and Irving (2nd marriage and a man my brother and I absolutely adored) managed to make it down to Cuba during the winter when they could. I have some great shots of those times - back in the day. I am guessing that the picture above was taken some in the 1920's. It is one of my favorites.
Very interesting!!!! I'm loving reading about your adventures . Gonna miss you, keep the news coming Diane
Post a Comment
Please type your comments in the box below. Pull down "Select a Profile" choose either anonymous or add your name. Hit Preview to review. If you are happy, hit POST COMMENT. Thanks