I was absolutely determined this trip to get all my stuff into a carry-on to not only avoid the fees but also the dreaded baggage claim.
Round 1: I get the bag down from the attic, gather all my stuff, spread it out in the guest room, take one look at it, shake my head, and say "No Freakin' Way!" Walk out and close the door. Immediately call my friend to see if I can borrow the rolling duffel we took to NZ. "Sure, I'm not going anywhere" Great! However, after a couple of days of thought, I convinced myself that I can beat this challenge.
Round 2: I go back into the room, zip locks in hand, and proceed to sort and cull. After sucking every inch of air out of everything, I finally managed to get it all in and zipped - kinda like putting on a tight pair of jeans. Unbelievable, I was so proud. However, there was one little issue of the TSA liquid/gel regulation. Geoff and I logically thought that we would get one quart bag (to fill with all our little 3oz bottles) for each bag we had - the carry-on and a backpack each - 4 bags. Not so much. One bag per person. You have got to be kidding me. I was fine with the toiletry stuff but what about sunscreen for the boat, and bug stuff for the jungle. We were close but not nearly close enough. So after that air-sucking packing job I did, we would have to check at least one bag to get the little stuff through. What a scam. Well, as long as I have to check my bag, might as well let the air out! Back on the phone with Lucy, hope to get the duffel this weekend so I can start Round 3.
It is early morning here and there is a full moon right outside my window setting into the bay. Maybe I can brave the cold and get a picture.
Next time: The travel bug
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
very funny
Jane & I were laughing out loud R U getting these comments ??? Missing you already Di
Love your packing blog. My main issue is always SHOES (no pun intended) But the damn TSA liquid rules really suck. As you know, sunscreen is so expensive when you have to buy it on the road. Remember, I always ask you when you return from your travels if you over packed and you always say yes. I know you can do it.
if you are checking the bag anyway, you can take the gallon size sunscreen. the 3 oz reg is only on carry on. You can have bug juice & sunscreen galore!!!
mary
Post a Comment
Please type your comments in the box below. Pull down "Select a Profile" choose either anonymous or add your name. Hit Preview to review. If you are happy, hit POST COMMENT. Thanks